R144 Small Ribbon Microphone, MXL Mics
Estimated Shipping Widget will be displayed here! (with custom color)
Incorporating a Figure-8 polar pattern and a 1.8-micron aluminum ribbon, the MXL R144 offers breathtaking sound for vocal and instrument recordings and is an excellent microphone for broadcast applications. The R144 also performs brilliantly on acoustic instruments, strings, and horns and offers high SPL capability, outstanding side rejection and precise directivity.
The MXL R144 Ribbon microphone uses an aluminum ribbon transducer which by nature is a bidirectional (figure-8) pickup pattern. A figure-8 pattern will pick up sounds from the front and back sides of the microphone with equal sensitivity while maintaining a large amount of rejection 90° off access. The front of the microphone is indicated by the MXL logo where the audio signal is 'in-phase' while the back side has an inverted phase. Ribbon mics typically have a lower output than condenser microphones and may require a preamplifier with a lot of gain. It is highly recommended to use a preamp with low noise, high gain, and an input impedance of 1500 ohms or greater. MXL strongly advises experimentation with placement and isolation requirements with the gain initially set low to avoid possible equipment (and hearing) damage.
MXL is a leading manufacturer of high performance audio products for professionals and recording enthusiasts around the world. MXL’s award-winning solutions continue to astound today’s top artists, engineers, professional producers, and businesses that require sonic perfection on stage, in the studio, and in the conference room.
- Perfect for a musician who needs a workhorse ribbon mic
- Mellow sound with a rich midrange and rolled-off top end
- Figure-8 polar pattern that captures instruments and room sound
- High SPL capability—ideal for horns and electric guitars
- Compact design that makes mic placement easy
- Type: Ribbon Velocity Microphone
- Ribbon Element: 1.8-micron aluminum ribbon
- Ribbon Length: 47mm
- Frequency Range: 20Hz -17kHz
- Polar Pattern: Figure-8
- Sensitivity: -56 dB (0 dB=1V/Pa)
- Impedance: 250 ohms
- Rated Load Impedance: >1500 Ohms
- Max SPL for 0.1% THD: >130 dB @1 kHz
- Size: 47mm x 171mm/1.85 in. x 6.75 in.
- Weight: 400g/0.85 lbs
- Metal Finish: Purple and chrome